Wednesday, October 15, 2014

TO DEFLOWER A BOOK

TO DEFLOWER A BOOK

“Chalya why do you keep underlining most of the passages in your book” my good friend once asked me. I didn’t have an answer for her then but with time, I came to understand why. As an avid reader, I love to deflower all my books thoroughly before I give them out. No kidding. I underline, and sometimes would use my favourite colours of markers, lemon green, orange, yellow & red to accentuate a passage that appeals to my exotic senses or resonates with my exact sentiments; underlining words or phrases that would leap out of the pages like a skilful dart player hitting the bull eyes. {You need to see my Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man Book}
Make no mistake about it. When I have thoroughly enjoyed a book, fiction or not, my fingers must make its comments on its pages. I and the author would become as one as we become intimately acquainted with one another on the book pages. Together, I and the characters would embark on a journey. If they travelled to Paris, I travelled the same roads or flew in the same plane with them, stopping over at the same side cafes and drinking the same sweet or bitter coffee they drank. If they sky-dived, I did and I felt their fear and courage of sky-diving, almost experiencing that high they got when they dared a feat and succeeded. If they went mountain climbing in the dead of winter or the heat of summer, I was right by their sides. If they were heart-broken, I too was heart-broken and if they made sweet love…well…erm, erm…no comments. But I never die with my characters, no, I simply refuse to die with them. If they choose to die, that is where I happily part ways with them – who wan die!
As the song goes, let’s just say:
“I know the distance it takes to sail around the world (The Librarian by Laura Jane Scott) and I have done it many times on seas of Van Gogh green” from the pages of my books. 
The point is, we made this beautiful, sometimes difficult, exhilarating journey together, not divorcing myself from the fantasies or realities of both their dreams and experiences. How then would you expect me to come out of such a breathtaking experience with the pages of my book unscathed, or like it just left the printers? What’s the point of reading a book without leaving a sign of your magnificent presence in its wake? Una sef!
The world may eventually be overtaken by kindle and all things virtual but people like me will still be willing to pay a little extra to experience the feeling of holding and turning the pages of a hard paper book until it is properly deflowered. Which one consign you sef? Flees from Pa @Ikhide

PS. Can you imagine that the word ‘disvirgined’ is not in the English dictionary? But you just might find it in our Nigerian English dictionary. That should have been the appropriate title for this my piece o. #Sigh what a sweet word to say rather than deflowered, sounds boring.

O Another PS.
Seriously, got to join an interesting book club where one can be drinking hot mugs of coffee and eating cookies while discussing books! And yes, you can engage me any time about a book on my twitter handle: @signetseal
This is Chalya Princess Miri-Gazhi telling you that it is a wonderful thing to be lost in a book! Have a great day guys. Hugs. :-)

Image Credits: indulgy.com; girlsheartbooks.com

6 comments:

  1. Very funny post.

    Yes, I live vicariously through my favourite authors
    and they inspire me to write on how I see the world
    The way I see the world is very different from anyone else

    If I can't see the words I am reading, I generally don't continue reading the book. I can be very visual even though I am reading...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!
    What is the essense of reading a book honestly and have no conversation with the author?
    Find comments like "you can say it again! True! Ha ha ha, oh no! Thank you,😄.. " it feels great to interact with the author. I can't wait to see your "Act like a lady, think like a man." lol
    I tell you the truth, when I was my younger sister's age, the internet, tv were all books.
    And the bible too was a hard cover book ha ha ha not this chatting on phone during sermon in the name of the bible is on phone. Smh.
    I need a library, a tangible one ha ha ....will have you flower them....then i'll deflower.

    Keep it up princess, I love the creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tess & Liz for stopping by. Books have always been an escape for me or an intro into a totally new exciting world. You can never go wrong with a jolly good book. I try to make it mine & o yes Liz, will be more than happy to deflower your books. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog, Chalya. I really loved reading it. I got some relief on knowing that I'm not the only one who underlines that favourite lines and quotes penned by the author. I am these days trying my best to put anything other than my fingertips on the page while reading. I am an aspiring librarian, you know? :) But if you are buying your book and 'deflowering' it then nobody should have any issue as far as the book in question is in your possession.

    And you are very true about being intimately acquainted with the writer while reading the book. The same happens to me. :) And it is true that ebooks don't offer that lovely smell while reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Pradeep I'm glad you enjoyed this but more so that someone sees it from my angle. And nothing beats burying one's nose within the freshness of the pages of a new book or the exotic staleness of an old book. @Manfa, njul kangkang :-)

      Delete

Blog Archive