Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Good Ole Mr & Mrs Critic



Some people have a knack for teaching or preaching. Some for writing, sports, cooking whilst some just love criticizing – the good ole Mr & Mrs Critic - I tell you, these negative critics just can’t seem to have enough. I’ve got nothing against constructive criticisms ok, but criticism for the fun of criticism – well that aint right you know. Take for instance, a girl walks into a bank wearing an above the ankle short skirt and almost trips on 5 inches high-heeled shoes, if you’re sitting beside Mrs Critic, she’s definitely going to make a sarcastic comment, preceded perhaps with a hiss, “why is she wearing such high heels to the bank?” and complete it with a disdainful 180 roll of her eyes.

What about in church. I was invited to an Anglican service and to my utter amazement, while a man was testifying about how God saved him from an accident or so, one of the girls sitting behind me said “see his eyes like frog eyes, how can he see well with it.” I couldn’t help myself, I whipped my head around so fast that I suffered a cricked neck for some days, and I eyed her and shushed her up too for good measure. She didn’t stop though. She stopped briefly only to continue with a roll-on commentary about every aspect of the church service – some mothers do have them!
In church again. One of the female choir members, who happened to be the lead vocalist for that particular choir ministration, was belting out a beautiful worship song and erm, apparently, the pitch sort of went out of wack, ok, it was kind of funny, (and I smiled inside of me) you know but definitely not the kind of goof that you mouth out in the congregation but Mrs Critic, who was sitting beside me would not let it go. To my chagrin, she turned to me and said with a conspiratorial wink, “No be by force say some people must join choir na. If she no get voice, sanitation department dey na.” Choi! Well, I also whispered to her, to give the lady a chance to perfect her God-given-vocals, to which Mrs Critic gave me a smooth unbroken 360 roll of the eyes that seemed to say “wetin this one dey talk na.”


Enter October 1st 2013, I’ve been reading through lots and lots of comments about Nigeria. I tell you, you gotta give it to Nigerians, we are one articulate people and we can win a war on twitville hands down! Some comments were downright hilarious & deserved the ‘LWKMD’ responses they got. Some were quite optimistic & hopeful - I really loved when my friend Jenny remarked that “I celebrate Nigeria, I recognise that we are very far from where we ought to be, but I choose to celebrate Nigeria today, at least we have not yet broken up into many different parts…” Still, Frank Edwards tweeted “Am a proud owner of a green passport.” Not bad from Nigerian hopefuls.

But some comments were downright nasty, I shuddered. Some people even threatened to un-friend anyone who as much as mention any good about Nigeria while others bluntly told him to go ahead and do so. Some were obviously angry and rightly so about the not so great conditions in Nigeria. Some rained down curses on her while others went ahead to bless her with beautiful words of blessings.
I love opinionated people anyway, nothing wrong with that. Why take the 5th amendment, when you can jolly well exercise your freedom of speech. As someone once put it, it is not the freedom of speech that is in question in Nigeria, it is the freedom after speech. Hmmm – I can hear the threat and fear and almost a word of caution there.
Let me conclude by saying that free speech is a good thing. Positive speech is even better but words spoken to correct, to build, to heal and to impact is damn better! I shall end this with one of the tweets I loved from @damilolaonline: “Be the change you want to see. EMBODY THE VALUES you desire to see in Nigerian leaders and citizens. Happy independence fellows – Nigeria is 53, Huha! :) 

11 comments:

  1. I loved this. I loved the flow and yes thanks to the background you painted, it definitely put the critical comments we share now and then in perspective. Its easy to become that critic that picks one small wrong and amplifies it. Thanks for this timely peice. There will always be something to be grateful for, depends on what we see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today being the most happiest day of my life after 1 year of sadness and sorrow without being with the one i love so much, i tried all my possible best to make sure i make my lover happy but it never seems to work out well it was like am doing everything in vain but all thanks to Dr EROMOSALE for coming to change all my worries and sadness to Joy. i knew the great man when i read some wonderful reviews about Dr EROMOSALE how he has helped a lots of people on there relationship problem i was reading a magazine which then i saw great testimonies as well which then i decided not to waste time because i have missed my lover so much i decided to contact him and share all my problem with him which then he told me not to worry that he assures me that within 48 hours everything would be sorted out i believed Dr EROMOSALE so much because i believe he can't fail me but truly Dr EROMOSALE never failed me cos a man that stand on his worlds is really a man,my husband who left me for a year plus replied my text and for the first time returned my calls and asked me to please forgive him i was so happy and so grateful to Dr EROMOSALE for what he has done for me. if you are there passing through this same problem or of any kinds just contact this great man on eromosalelovespell@outlook.com or call him on +2348161850195.

      Delete
  2. i love this line most "it is not the freedom of speech that is in question in Nigeria, it is the freedom after speech" pretty funny.
    Nice article frm u, its so unfortunate d way some of us jst blab nd say wateva pops in2 our little heads. @ifeanyi_cyril

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for all your comments @eloxie and @ifeanyi_cyril, indeed like u said, there will always be something to be grateful for if we choose to stay positive and build with our words rather than scatter with our words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... such relevance!!!! my bro JMD says something i love.. he said - there is no light at the end of the tunnel, you are the light of the world. Get off your butt and switch on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go @blarrqwyat - relevance is by getting off ur 'butt' as u put it and flipping on the switch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chalya, I have laughed from my sofa to the floor. Criticisms make Nigerians who they are. One of the best things that ever happened to us was democracy, freedom of speech sine OBJ era, social media and the ability to articulate issues we have very vague knowledge of. Nigeria is an interesting country with interesting people. But I think in every commentary whether negative or positive, Nigerians are evolving and aspiring social changers and I like that. The present generation is thinking slightly differently now and i like that, hopefully the corruption we have all bern brought up will change as our values become more liberated. As always keep the goodwork up, I am cheering you all the way. I am unable myself to write for Nigeria, as our reading audience is too naroowminded. So welldone my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah Jenny, your comments, as always, is an instructive guide to understanding Nigeria better. Thank you with a smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today being the most happiest day of my life after 1 year of sadness and sorrow without being with the one i love so much, i tried all my possible best to make sure i make my lover happy but it never seems to work out well it was like am doing everything in vain but all thanks to Dr EROMOSALE for coming to change all my worries and sadness to Joy. i knew the great man when i read some wonderful reviews about Dr EROMOSALE how he has helped a lots of people on there relationship problem i was reading a magazine which then i saw great testimonies as well which then i decided not to waste time because i have missed my lover so much i decided to contact him and share all my problem with him which then he told me not to worry that he assures me that within 48 hours everything would be sorted out i believed Dr EROMOSALE so much because i believe he can't fail me but truly Dr EROMOSALE never failed me cos a man that stand on his worlds is really a man,my husband who left me for a year plus replied my text and for the first time returned my calls and asked me to please forgive him i was so happy and so grateful to Dr EROMOSALE for what he has done for me. if you are there passing through this same problem or of any kinds just contact this great man on eromosalelovespell@outlook.com or call him on +2348161850195.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always assumed I had read this piece but wading into it, I realised that I hadn't.

    One characteristic of critiquing, not criticizing, is to include the good and the bad in your discourse. And to go one step better, proffer possible solutions with examples.

    With respect to places, it's not wise to only criticize your home - city or country, and where you live.

    I enjoyed the piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Unknown for dropping by and for your correction. One tends to get carried away with Nigerian English. 😉

      Delete

Blog Archive