Monday, January 13, 2014

WHO IS A FASHION CRIMINAL?


Fashion, style, vogue – who defines it?

Only recently I read an article berating Beyoncé for going all out to look like a blond when she should be black & perhaps afro. It was a great article according to my standard because it raised up some really salient points. And it got me thinking, at what point can I be judged to have committed a fashion crime. Am I a fashion criminal?
Say, I pick up two fashion magazines: one is an international magazine, the other is a local magazine, I tend to believe every fashion style from the international mag because it is international. My believability is therefore dependent on ‘the-bigger-the-better-the-truer.’ I’m watching fashion Police & Joan Rivers & her crew are – defining to the point of hilarity – what fashion ought to be. I do not understand nor question her fashion opinions because she is Joan Rivers – the-know-it-all-fashion-guru. My believability is dependent on the opinions of a TV celebrity. I wake up & standing before my Mirror, my self-portrait doesn’t feel so good any more. My mind wants to see what the magazines I’ve read & what the TV celebrities in the fashion world calls fashion. So I become dis-satisfied with what I am for what I am not & before you know, I’m at the hair dressers buying & fixing what I have accepted as fashion according to Beyoncé or Joan Rivers. Come on! I think we are now confusing fashion, vogue & style for beauty and that it isn’t. I think because we aint confident of who we are & how we look, we become gullible to every trend thrown at us by every famous face or celebrity. If every individual were to define fashion based on what is suitable to their natural looks, the fashion business would be out of business. If Beyoncé, Nicki Minaj, etc had decided to wear Afro & nothing else, I believe even their Caucasian fans would be buying afro-wigs because they want to look like Beyonce. Unfortunately, our black celebrities aint comfortable in their own skins or with their own beauty, I think they have accepted a white definition from Hollywood or the high streets of world Fashion on what beauty should be & we see nothing absolutely wrong with it because we want to make more money and in so doing, lose our natural allure & integrity. That is why acrylics sell, why eye brows are carved, why dresses go way shorter & wigs sell even more.

For what it's worth, why should I base my hard-earned budget on the opinions of other people's fashion sense? Does that make me a fashion criminal? If perhaps I wear an orange scarf with a lilac blouse on a red MC Hammer's kind of baggy trousers, I'm I now condemned to a fashion criminal? O dear! Should I dig my natural afro or should I mix it up with a pink wig or perhaps I should just damn the consequences and give myself a Mohawk cut tinted with a golden hue that shouts - crazy?
Go figure. I think fashion is whatever suits me and whatever I like and not just because Ms G or Mr P says its ok. Still, I have seen several fashion ideas & styles that are just lovely and just because I aint brave enough to wear this afro hair-do
doesn't make me judge the person who does. Like my younger sister would say, there are only certain people that can carry-off certain looks. I agree. However I think we are all fashion criminals one way or another because what might be great fashion to Miss Daisy might be appalling to me or someone else - different strokes for different folks guys. Let's just conclude this piece amicably, any fashion that is a 360-turn-around from your natural self & does not flatter or better your natural image aint fashion in my opinion but
then I aint Joan Rivers, I am simply me, the unknown & to cut a very long story short, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. :)

NB
And don’t go asking me ‘what if I don’t like my natural image or my natural image does not flatter me, then perhaps you need to see a certified shrink!

Once again, don't hurry off that quickly. I would love to read your comments, please drop a line. And you can also follow at my handle: @signetseal. :)


14 comments:

  1. Nice write up; as usual. I am me. Pure and simple. What I wear is dependent on what I wish to project at that point in time. My mood and generally what I know works for me. Honestly, I don't 'know about others' out there, I just adorn what is best for me. The clothes I buy are what you can iron and wear five years from when you bought them. I am not one of those guys that would spend £800 on a pair of shoes and not be able to wear them after two months! I buy quality things that would last me and are always 'in vogue'. Generally, I think the whole idea is to beat down your self confidence and meander into your mind then get you to constantly part with your money. It is a capitalist world. Rob them of their confidence and smile to the bank with your loot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sentiments are as good as mine Sammy. Like you've said, we live in a capitalist world & consumers are usually the ones who go along for the ride.

      Delete
  2. Nice write up. Kudos to @signetseal for this. It shows her versatility. Fashion is what you are comfortable in and not necessarily what is in vogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O yes Busuyi, still, while some people seek for comfort, some seek for style or else, how can you explain when we ladies wear discomfiting shoes just to look stylish! :)

      Delete
  3. Whatever we do vis-á-vis dressing must not defeat the purpose for which God created it for.Nice write up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice post. Whoever defines what is acceptable to me has power over me and when I lose my identity and become moved by every fashion critic, then there is a problem. It is a journey for most people though and on the way to finding ourselves, we often find that we are bound to the opinion or affirmation of others and in this case in point, the trends tend to define us.

    If the objective is to look good and modest, it won't be about the labels or the latest fads. Oftentimes though, the objective is more than just that so we get lost in the maze. I agree with you 100%, fashion for me is what suits me and what i can afford. Better to buy a few quality and timeless peices than jump in and out with every 'wind of fashion'. Great job Sis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks buddy-mine. O yes, I would go for a few quality & timeless pieces any day! Abibeko? :)

      Delete
  5. I personally don't like Joan and her friends. I think they dress horrendously and their show is a case of "who makes the rules?" Your article is something we have heard but need to hear again. I do believe we ALL develop our fashion ideas from the media, though in varying degrees. Or how else do we learn to dress. Basically we should be comfortable in our own skin. Good stuff, kudos. A few typos here and there. Plus using 'aint' was incongruous with the fabric of the article. I've said enough. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aint I delighted to hear your comments dear Phebe! As 4 Joan Rivers, I have since categorized her as a delightful comedienne. Noticed that you have a compulsion to always correct people's grammar - sometimes people just want to speak in an English suitable to an informal environment like a blog. My advice: let them be or you'll just go bonkers! :)

      Delete
  6. I love your write up! I think I'm a fashion criminal. Fashion trends do not dictate how I dress or view myself. If it is good looking and decent, its okay by me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there you have it, a lady who knows what she likes. Period. Many thanks for dropping by. :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Tnx Sandra. Also enjoyed & shared your article on Cara - nice one. :)

      Delete

Blog Archive